Thursday, March 1, 2007

Taming of the Shrew

My lit class did a spontaneous performance of "Shakespeare in a Box," a condensed version of Taming of the Shrew, in class today. This is Grumio... Kate and Petruchio Hortensio, Petruchio, and Baptista
We laughed a lot and had fun with it! I was busy reading along with them, so I don't have great shots. But this is definitely the memory of the day. They asked to do more Shakespeare, so I'm changing the game plan for the class and we'll continue with the Bard some more next week. Donne will have to wait!

8 comments:

Joy said...

This was so much fun. I think they all just loved it!

Colleen said...

This is the kind of experience I'd love my boys to have when they're older. All our homeschooling is on our own right now, but I want them to have great opportunities with others, too. Can you come up here and teach a class, Becky? : )

Unknown said...

Love it! Big bard fan here and love when kids discover how powerful his writing is. Johannah is in Taming right now, but they've done this funny flip. All the girls are playing the boy parts and all the boys are playing the girl parts!

When does it go into performance?

Dancingirl said...

Thanks, Joy!

Colleen, it would be fun to teach a class there! Wish I could! This is one of the reasons we go to a co-op. There are so many learning experiences that are better with others, esp. the older the students get.

No performance, just fun in class, Julie. So in the production Johannah is in, did they change all the pronouns/names or are they performing as is, just with the parts switched around?

Sandie said...

THis looks like a lot of FUN! It is great when they 'discover' the power of the bard :)

Ampersand said...

They are so enthusiastic!

SUSAN said...

Looks like fun! :-)

Susan

Paula said...

Becky, won't you PLEASE lead an on-line discussion on one of the Bard's plays? Or even a sonnet if that would be easier? I've never been taught him and would love to become on of his admirers!