Friday, February 9, 2007

Part 1

It's that time of year again. ...Not Valentine's Day. Louisiana is revving up for Mardi Gras . The king cakes are displayed in all the bakeries and grocery stores, and purple, gold, and green are seen everywhere. Here are some cheap Mardi Gras beads that I saw hanging in a store today. Part 2

I have noticed, mostly at times when I'm frustrated, that the very traits that drew me to my husband are also the ones that irritate me. I like that he isn't ostentatious. I like that he is a conservationist. I like that he marches to a mostly different drummer than most men I've met. I like it until it becomes something that inconveniences me. Case in point: his car. To quote my sister, " The kind of car I want is one which comes on when you turn the key. " And I will add: and stays on. This $700 bargain of his didn't seem like much of a bargan to me today. Here it sits where the police car pushed it (and him)... Not a nice part of town to visit.

5 comments:

Sandie said...

That first picture reminds me I thought of a drink for your Mardi Gras party. Dip a Martini glass in honey then shredded coconut to give it a white 'boa' then add this ice blue drink. Call it a Zsa Zsa Gabor.

1 shot vodka (recommended: Blue Ice)
1 shot blue fruit- and cognac- liqueur (recommended: Envy)
1/2 shot orange-flavored liqueur (recommended: Cointreau)
1 cup ice cubes

Add all ingredients to blender and blend on high until smooth. Pour into rocks glasses and serve with straw.

Sandie said...

I am so out of it sometimes...it is not your party, it is Beth's party...lol, Sorry! I like the pictures and they did jog a memory, just the wrong one :)

NoVA Dad said...

As a nearly decade-long resident of Mobile, Alabama (before moving back to Virginia four years ago), I can proudly say that it's nice to see that New Orleans is keeping up with the tradition that was actually founded in Alabama:-) I never did the New Orleans Mardi Gras, but I did my fair share of those in Mobile; I can actually remember one or two of them.....

- Matt

MaryD said...

The pretty Mardi Gras colors contrast nicely with the car sitting where it shouldn't be sitting... two different feelings all together!

Ampersand said...

Love the beads. I never thought of what it would be like to live in Mardi Gras land every year...